Thursday 12 April 2012

Phase One IQ Far East tour-Jakarta.

Indonesia, my first time here.

To be honest, I had no real idea what to expect.

Chaotic traffic, way beyond Bangkok in terms of constant near misses from seemingly homicidal cab drivers and errant motorcycles made a pretty strong first impression.

My furrowed brow was met with laughter from our driver 'this' he said 'is nothing.....'

To give you a little flavour of the spicy traffic have a look at this time lapse I did from the hotel with the GoPro Hero 2.



Such a great way to document your travels in a fun way.

I will share my set up with you another time, but if you don't have one I heartily recommend you get one, I cannot easily think of anything else which gives a bigger bang for the buck.

I was surprised to see that Indonesia was the best attended seminar on the tour (so far).

The delegates asked a ton of pertinent questions and I was left with the impression that there was lots commercial shooting in Jakarta.

At the break I met Chris Bunjamin, who after training in Canada had returned home to try to break into his home market.

As you can see he has shot some really lovely work on his Phase One IQ180.




Top notch stuff.

I think his break will come soon enough.

The live shoot consisted of building up a mini set on stage with plants from around the hotel, which was fun.

But as I collected my GoPro camera up from its time lapse position I noticed these pleated white drapes which I thought had potential.

I decided to give it a go.



But where is the light?

When shooting on location concealing the light source is a priority.

So, I tried a new little trick, one that I will use again.

I hid the light in the elevator, jamming the doors open, a bit selfish but there were 3 others for guests to use.

The Golden rule of photography is that there are no rules.....

It's not every day I get to use the top of the range Phase One IQ180 so I'm making the most of it on this trip.

Next stop Kuala Lumpur.





No comments: